Library Fact Sheets
OFFICE OF THE STAFF JUDGE ADVOCATE|
Printable Fact Sheet
673 ABW/JA Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson
The information provided here is designed to acquaint you with available legal assistance services. If you have a legal problem, or a potential legal problem, don't hesitate to see your legal assistance officer. Please see below to find out who is eligible for legal assistance, what kind of help is available and where you can go for assistance.
Who is eligible for legal assistance?
- Active duty military members.
- Reservists and National Guard members on active duty or recently demobilized.
- Reservists and National Guard members not on active duty, for mobilization and deployment-related issues.
- Officers of the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service.
- Dependents entitled to an ID card.
- Civilian employees who are deploying.
What kind of help can I get?
- Legal assistance attorneys can answer questions about the law, can help explain legal documents, and can draft wills and powers of attorney.
- Attorneys cannot provide advice related to home-based businesses, military or civilian
criminal matters, or disputes between the client and the US Air Force.
- Attorneys cannot draft legal documents, other than wills and powers of attorney, or represent clients in court.
Where can I go to get help?
- A good place to start is the Air Force Legal Assistance web page,
https://aflegalassistance.law.af.mil/lass/lass.html, which has information on many common legal assistance issues. It also has worksheets you can fill out online, before going in person to get your will or power of attorney. Filling out a worksheet in advance can make your office visit go more quickly.
- You can make an appointment to meet with an attorney in either the 673 ABW Legal Office (located in the People Center - tel. 552-3046) or the Richardson Legal Assistance Office (located in Building #600 - tel. 384-0371). Walk-in services are available in Building 600 on Monday (from 0800-1200 and 1300-1600), Thursday (from 1300-1600) and Friday (from 0800-1200 and 1300-1600).